Sunday 23 November 2014

Working Further on my Partners Hair design

In my recent hair studio lecture it was my turn to practise my partners design on her hair. By now I feel much more comfortable working with her hair and I'm picking up a much quicker pace. Beth hadn't got a final drawing of the hairstyle she wanted me to create however she had a collaboration of photo to show me. As in the previous lesson we experimented with the technique 'wiggle plait' and Beth really liked the technique and how it looked in the hair. Beth described to me how she wanted it too told and said it was pretty similar to the previous design I created on her. 
I started off with using the rat in the hair, this is exactly the same padding that was used in my previous design for the wiggle plait. Its just a ball of couch roll which has been put in a pair of tights. In the practise session the tights were a tan colour however on the day of the assessment I want it to be black so it matches the hair and blends in more in the design. I started with sectioning the front area were the wiggle plaits would be, each wiggle plait needs three strands of hair so I sectioned it off in three's. I then sectioned another area which I will use to cover the front of the padding. Once the front sections were out the way I placed the rat on the top of the head and started building up the hair over the rat and gripping it through the padding and securing it to the hair closest to the scalp for security. 
After I placed a decent amount of hair over the padding I realised I placed the rat to far back on the head and it was leaning back. I then had to go back and un grip all the pieces of hair that I had already gripped up and start again. This time I moved it up slightly and started to grip all the pieces of hairs up again. I start with stand by stand to secure it to the head and the padding and then I started grabbing three strands of hair at a time and bringing it all over and building it up. I've learnt from the first time I worked with Beths hair as I tried to put too many pieces of hair up at once and eventually its too heavy and not secure so it just falls. I've learnt from this mistake and realised I have to build the beehive up bit by bit to make sure its secure. Once al the hair was up in a beehive I left four strands of hair at the bottom and I still had the strands at the front to create the wiggle plaits. For the this I grabbed the three stands of hair, plaited it loosely and with the two strands on one side, I pulled them upwards to the roots of the hair to create the wiggle effect.
I created five main wiggle plaits in the centre which were gripped up at the top and two on each side by the ear which were brought around to the middle of head and gripped in the centre to the other wiggle plait. All the plaits and beehive were gripped with black bobby pins and wide set black grips as well. 

With the final 4 strands I left at the bottom, I wrapped the hair around my two fingers and gripped them to the roots of the hair. I did this with each strand so it created four twists at the back of the bottom of the hair. This wasn't originally in Beth design however instead of leaving the bottom bit down like in the last design we decided to add another technique to the design. I think this makes the hair look more Elizabethan as when the hairs down it looks very contemporary.


Overall I'm very happy with the design and I think it came out very well, the part that takes the longest in the hair design is creating the beehive this is because it takes structure and time to place each bit of hair up. Iv'e definitely become quicker at working with the hair which is good progress and I've become more confident. On the final assessment I think I need to present the wiggle plaits a little bit neater and try and get them the same size, however this is hard because each strand of braid in Beths hair varies. I think with the twists at the bottom of the hair could be neater and more secure as they felt a little loose. And of course the padding to be black to match the hair, overall I'm very hair with the hair design and it look me 1 hour and 10 minutes to create the final hair design so I do feel confident for the assessment as long as everything goes smoothly. 














No comments:

Post a Comment